Monday, May 28, 2007

Catching up

DENALI PARK, AK - - It'a been about six days since I blogged anything so this is a catch-up. If you read Lydia's Blog regularly you'll remember her blog about the big green bus and showing it off in a picture I took of her first run into the park. (I'm extremely proud she passed the rigorous training and more than a bit envious also....more on this later in the blog.) I had dropped her off at Visitor Transportation Service dispatch (VTS) and gotten lunch in the Parkside employee dining room there which Lydia says is much nicer/better/friendlier than the on the (Park Chalet) side of the park we live on. Maybe true. But on this day, there was a problem....probably with the water, maybe with something else. In any event, one hour after I took the blog photo I got hit by a stomach disorder which allowed me to lose weight without trying - - or eating either.

Fortunately the first day and a half were my days off which I spent barfing. Day three i worked 4am - 1pm without eating due to occassional barfing. Heavy doses of Pepto-Bismol helped. Days 4-5 were spent on the same shift but I seemed to be able to eat an energy bar and an apple a day and feel better. Day Six is today and i hope I'm cured.

And now the rest of the story: I also do Visitor Transportation, but in a different area of the park. We call it VTSS or "Sheep Shuttle" for short. Our wonderful guests are "herded" off the cruise ship onto a train and from the train onto the bus to their hotel and from there herded to meals / entertainment / tours. VTSS looks out for the strays; those with normal requests to be taken somewhere; those with abnormal requests to be taken somewhere and those with requests who make them just because they can and because the young squids manning the reception desk are too afraid to actually take a moment to think about what is being asked. In short, drive shuttle sheep long enough and you'll step in sheep shi*. Fortunately, I'm pretty good about bypassing most of the sheep dip and the squids are protected by a big counter which keeps them safe - - for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment