Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Zion, Part #2

GRANT, NM - - Although we've left Zion National Park over 400 miles behind I wanted to post 2 more pics. Above we see the intrepid LH leading the way up trail. The 2,148' vertical gain should translate to an average 10% grade, but some parts were steeper and some not so steep as in the shot below.

In this shot I like the colors and the sculpting of the rocks by huge flows of water over time. There was also a nice echo factor. The two ladies in the pic are from Quebec and were quite friendly. One thing to note while in this section: If you hear a sound like thunder or a train coming...you're finished. We never found out if flash floods in this section have killed anyone, but there were signs at the trail head to Observation point that people have slipped and fallen to their death (for not paying attention) on the trail. I should point out that I "hugged" the wall on the first mile down.

3 comments:

  1. What a fall and what a hike...I'd lose my "lunch" if I climb that high...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos, it is relaxing and exhilarating all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Zion is on my list of places to see. Ima so jealous!

    ReplyDelete