Tuesday, October 02, 2007

On the edge in Zion

SPRINGDALE, UT - - Today we're in Zion National Park, a spectacular carving of sandstone by wind, water and time. We've hiked 4 miles up and up to Observation Point, one of the many maintained trails in the park. I'm sitting on a government survey marker which says 6,508' elevation. I refuse to get close enough to look over the edge. The elevation gain on this hike is listed at 2,148' so I guess that's how far I could fall.

The valley below us has the park road where the shuttle buses run and the winding Virgin River. The sun is fairly overhead, hence a bit of washed-out effect on everything in the distance. Tomorrow, the real work begins as we 'really' do start heading home.

6 comments:

  1. Great Photography and bet it was even better to look at it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'll have to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photograph! My best hike was taken in Zion. I think it was called Angels Landing. Although Zion can get really jammed with tourists, it's a great place to visit if you want to hike. I also thought it was more tourist-friendly than Bryce.

    Top Vacation Spots

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures of Zion are gorgeous, I always take feet pictures like these too :)

    I highly recommend getting out to Grand Teton National Park in WY if you ever get a chance. It's absolutely magnificent... safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:18 AM

    What an impressive pic

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow... the photo is so good! thanks for sharing it.. :)

    wish i could take a shot like those.. :)

    ReplyDelete