Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Lazy Day

DENALI PARK, AK - - After a nice string of 11 days working, I finally got a day off. Of course, Lydia was working as we haven't - - as yet - - gotten to where we have the same days off. So, what did I do?? Why I went for a green bus ride 52 miles into the Park's interior to Toklat. It just so happened that my favorite (and one and only) travelling partner of 15-years was driving. I'd like to say I was able to be in two places at once but the shot of green bus inching along the Polychrome Pass section of the road in the top pic was taken before we started down the road.

In the photo below you can get a front seat view of what Lydia has to watch out for on Polychrome: rock walls on the left side and a nice drop of about 1,000' on the right. It's also evident that this section of the road is no wide interstate. In places it's like threading a needle and Lydia is good, very good. Of course, the road isn't the only problem. She has to put up with a lot of Ship Sheep just like I do although most of them are in a bit better shape than the ones I haul around. At least I don't have to herd them back onto the bus at rest stops so I can stay on schedule. My routes are short enough there aren't any rest stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment