Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The early bird

DENALI PARK, AK - - At 5:30am at the 11-mile mark on the Park Road, Denali was out in good form with the rising sun making the upper portion of the mountain shine while low clouds obscured the base. Why am I out in the park this early? I was off and Lydia was working, and if I wanted the car to do an early trip I needed to take her to work. In between the north shot of Denali and the south/moose shots I stopped in the EDR for breakfast.
CANTWELL, AK - - Three hours and 35 miles down the George Parks Highway and 4 miles up the Denali Highway, the south exposure of the mountain was in full view. This angle presents a much larger view with the base spread out more and not as hidden the by Alaska Range as it is when seen from the north. That pesky low cloud was still hanging around.
ON THE GEORGE PARKS HIGHWAY - - In between the two mountain shots and about 20 miles south of the park this young moose was having breakfast. The noise of passing traffic didn't seem to have any effect but the click of the motordrive was apparently annoying. In a good deal of the other shots I took, the moose was staring at me with ears up.
SO by 8:30am on my day off I had seen both sides of the mountain and bagged a moose. Not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment