Sunday, April 23, 2006

Harry heads North, to Alaska

The humans loaded the car this morning and we headed out from Jasper to Dawson Creek and the (eastern) starting point for the Alaska Highway. I don't take long to pack since all I've got is the piece of green grass in my paws. They tell me I've got cousins in Alaska. They've got to be a little crazy 'cause it's too darn cold in Japser. Of course they may have a better fur coat than I have.

We stopped at a highway intersection near Hinton where we hung a left and...well the sign tells it all. So now I'm starting my own photo album. The grouchy one stuck me in the back so I could see where we had been, but I'd rather hang out on top of the dash - - which reminds me of my favorite rock back in the Tonquin Valley.

Yesterday we had some snow which was pretty interesting as I usually sleep, well hibernate really, through the winter - - that's Jasper-style winter which seems to be September to April. The snow was heavy enough that we turned around halfway to Moraine Lake, went for a short hike, and by then the road was a bit clearer.

Man, everybody was out. We saw elk all over the place, plus deer and big horn sheep. And one dumb coyote. This coyote guy had some serious backbone as he was challenging two elk..at least until he realized that they were a whole lot bigger than he was. He turned tail and slowly trotted off thru the brush.

Later after coffee and scones and muffins at the Bear Paw bakery we went for a walk to check out the stores. Now this was a learning experience. there's no easy way to put this...blatant Marmot discrimination. No cute stuffed marmot toys, no marmot magnets, no marmot stickies, no marmots on t-shirts. We got bears, we got moose, we got wild flowers but no marmots. It's an outrage.


No comments:

Post a Comment