Saturday, June 02, 2018

Follow the leader

I shot this from the 'down' side of the hike
OURAY, CO - - The leader, in this case, is Lydia.  And this is the first 2018 installment of what I term "follow the leader."  You may remember other missives from our 2017 travels.
     We saw the bridge in the photo last year, but didn't check it out.  This year we met folks at the campground who were setting out the hike to Box Canyon.  "Not too far" they said.  So this morning "The Leader" decided it was a good day for a stroll in the mountains.  Faithful sherpa followed.
     We got directions from a local when it looked like we were lost.  The trail was 'up' ...moderately strenuous (probably 8'500' and climbing) and then... The Staircase which had thick steel cable on the 'wall' side and a thinner cable on the down, way down side.  I used to take these challenges in stride...Not anymore.  So, like a snail, I crept upwards.
     Once at the top of the staircase we moved through a short tunnel and out onto the bridge.  There was fantastic view both toward the town and below my feet through the lattice work steel.  Going down was not anti-climactic.  No cables, but plenty of snail-slow movement requiring plenty of concentration.
     And, since I'm posting this blog, I must have made it.  Oh, I did gash a thumb on the cable and managed to drop my small camera.  Fortunately, both still work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment