Friday, July 18, 2014

My cellphone can swim!

SACRAMENTO, CA - -  This is a preemptive confession, because Lydia doesn't pass up many 'moments' where she gets to explain that I sometimes do stupid or very stupid things.  In this case it was leaving my cell phone in the shorts that I dropped in the washing machine. My phone went through the wash cycle and the spin cycle. Fortunately, it was discovered before going into the dryer.   Even I realize that forgetting my phone was very dumb.
      A couple of years ago when Lydia got a new cell phone, we got a two phones for one deal.  Astutely, she had packed the spare for this trip...in case something (read: me being dumb) happened to one of our phones.
     When confronted with the phone retrieved from the wash, I pulled out the battery and with the phone 'open' set everything out in the 88-degree sun for about 30 minutes.  Meanwhile, Lydia is hinting that I should start looking for an AT&T dealer so we can swap sim cards from my old phone to the new spare.
     But, hang on a minute.  I got my cell out of the sun none too worse for wear except for the condensation on the screen.  I put the battery back in; plugged in the charges and left it for 20 minutes.  The phone fired up; I punched in Lydia's number and the call went through very much to her amazement.
     Good phone?  Dumb luck?  Who knows?  Dumb move, good outcome.  I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment