Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Dead 'possum on the sidewalk

ORMOND BEACH, FL - - It's a cool, gray day in OB.  The light is bad, there's a slight  wind and the birds are hiding anyway.  However, there was activity in our backyard. 
     For no real reason, I took a look out a back window at our sidewalk.  I saw birds congregating and not the type I expect to see or want to see.  A black vulture and a turkey vulture were checking out something on the sidewalk.  The last thing you want is for vultures to think your house/back or front yard is a gathering place.
     I went our into our Florida room to check on what might be the attraction.  I smelled it before I saw it...a dead' possum lying on its back with its guts spilling out.  The scavengers left when they heard me.
     So, plan A:  scoop it up with a shovel, bag it and drop it in our trash can to await Thursday removal.  Or, plan B:  dig a hole and bury it.  Plan A seemed the best choice. While I was scooping and bagging their intended meal at least six large birds circled in the vicinity.  The 'feathered telegraph' works very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment