Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Lunar or loony

ORMOND BEACH, FL - - Lydia thought I was a bit crazy getting up at 2:30a.m. to attempt to take photos of the total lunar eclipse. It didn't help when I didn't hear the alarm go off and received an elbow in the ribs as a reminder to turn it off. But, faithful partner did get up; walk outside and look up and then walk back inside without a word. In all, I was up until 4:00a.m. 'playing' because without a tripod to make stable rather than shake-y time exposures you don't really have a chance of getting a good shot of the colors (reddish hue) when the eclipse was total. In the above shot - - with a bit of imagination - - you can make out the image of the moon just before it goes totally into shadow. The shot below (a hand held 24 second time exposure) gives an idea of the color....and also the impossibility of holding still for very long. In all, I had fun. The eclipse was impressive and worth getting up for. I knew my chances of a good photo were between slim and none before starting but trying different things to see how they work is what it's all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment