Monday, November 16, 2009

Space Shuttle Atlantis launch

ORMOND BEACH, FL - - Today's photo is the result of an experiment. I borrowed a 600mm (Canon) lens and added a 2x doubler to our Canon 30D body. This effectively gave me a 1200mm focal length. I added a lightweight monopod to the mix. The downside was that this f.4 lens weighs about 25 pounds. So, you have a great opportunity to get better shuttle launch photos but you're trying to do so with the equivalent of an unweildy concrete block. I felt I managed to overcome the inherent challenges, but sometime after the first pic I must have hit the focus ring and softened things just a bit. Our cameras, like most recent slr cameras, have auto-focus but to make it work you have to pick up the object of your attention before it will focus. Thus, in situations like this you set the lens focus ring at infinity and bang away...which was a lot harder than it sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment